Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Song Kheng Hai Hawker Centre

It has been quite some time since the last time I have been to Song Kheng Hai Hawker centre. Yesterday, My Mum, Sis, Uncle and I dropped by there to eat something. I must say I certinly missed some of the food there. Most notably the Kio Chap Mee (tomato Noodles) and the drinks there. Sad that by the time I was there the Char Kueh already finished.

If you take a walk around you will find many stalls selling food and drinks. For me personally most of my favourite stalls are located near the front where they are facing Chinatown. One of them would be Seng Lee. Seng Lee is a stall that basically sells drink or cold desserts, Local desserts that is. Their ABC, Ang Tao Peng etc are one of the best in Kuching, If not the best.

Stall No: 2 Belongs to Seng Lee they serve wicked Ang Tao Peng (Ice Dessert) Ang Tao Peng

Yesterday we managed to try something new again, I think it is a new stall for the guy is promoting the menu. One of it that he is promoting is Kong Pia. Kong Pia is a Foochow dish, the main origin will be from Sibu where majority are Foochows living there. Kong Pia consist of a Bun top with sesame seed, the bun is being sliced into half and inside they put in some meat with sauce. The Kong Pia that we had there was quite good.

Kong Pia

One of the food I must have when I am there is Kio Chap Mee (Tomato Noodles), and there is only this particular stall which the Tomato Noodles they serve are the type I like. This stall is stall 25/26 the name of the stall is called Ah Lau. I just love their tomato noodles. Instead of using like what most people will do these days, they deep fry the noodles until it is crispy and then they top it with tomato gravy...those are the ones I don't like. I like the one that Ah Lau does they fry the noodles first and then later on they cook the sauce and then pour it over the noodles. Somehow I think the noodles taste better this way. So if you are at Song Kheng Hai do try Ah Lau's Tomato Noodles.

Ah Lau's Delicious Tomato Noodles

To top it all I ordered another drink, It is a combination of sea coconut and lemon. The owner was pretty generous with the lemon slices for he gave me 2 thick slices of lemon. The sea coconut was superb. The drink is very cooling, it is sweet and taste a bit sour because of the lemon. The sea coconut is crunchy so it is very nice. This stall which sells this drinks is located next to Ah Lau if I am not mistaken. Their Sugarcane drink is to die for, it is freshly juiced and you can add in coconut fillings too.


Sea coconut with Lemon


And to top it all I found this adorable car parked at the car park.It may look ancient but hey it still works!! belongs to an old man living in the shop lots behind the car.

Hey I may look old but I am still strong!! =D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

even at gun-point,the owner of this antique mobile wont sell it to you...hehehe

Anonymous said...

true true... it must be the ownner's precious lol