Saturday, October 06, 2007

A New Challenge

Challenges in life is it something good or is it something bad? Personally I never really liked challenges. I find them tiring and a total waste of my energy. But these days my perspective has changed. I started to feel that challenge is a good thing. A challenge in life brings out the best in me. It drills me to become a better and wiser person. That was why I decided to take up a new challenge in my life.

This might not be much of a challenge to some of you out there, but for me it is quite a challenge. Recently...well about 2 days ago my tuition centre called me up and offered me a new job as a part-time tutor. I was offered to teach MUET (Malaysian University English Test), not to students but to working adults. Yes working adults who are older than me. The challenge here is to get them obtain good grades in MUET and my task was to teach them and let them understand the format of MUET and how it works and what are the tricks to tackle the questions. At the same time my knowledge for MUET is like zero. I actually had to borrow the book from Swinburne library and read and understand how MUET works and how it was being tested on the candidates.

Initially I had no idea why did I took up the offer. My boss asked me whether can I teach the class or not and my mouth just blurted out yes. At first I was really nervous about it but I told myself that I must have faith in myself and also in the Lord. Amazingly, our faith to the Lord can have so much impact in our lives. Things started to look better. I came to know that Shawn has taken MUET before and also Cheryl. I started asking them questions about MUET. Well I Shawn became my victim of interrogation. I started asking questions on how MUET was being taught in tuition class what are being tested and Praise the Lord that whatever was written in the book about the format was not entirely correct. Seems that in the speaking paper the Individual presentation part was not being tested. Only the group discussion part was tested. I started to learn a lot of things about MUET.

I started to prepare the notes for class and I ended up sleeping at 3am and nearly overslept and missed my morning tuition for my form1 and 2 students but luckily I was not late I still manage to rush there on time. After the morning class the next class was the MUET class... I will not deny that I felt very nervous to tell the truth I was shivering a bit but I kept my cools and started to give the lecture on how the marks are being calculated etc. Then started off with lesson 1 which was listening. So far everything went on smoothly and class ended on time and I managed to finish the lesson I planned for today. My student are nice and friendly and the class was enjoyable. They are willing to learned and I am very pleased and happy that they let me have a chance to teach them. It was really an honour. I am looking forward to our next class now which will be after the Raya holidays.

So for those of you who are afraid of challenges in life, do not be afraid to face them. Have faith in yourself and have faith in the Lord and everything will work out fine. Even if we fail do not fear as Failure is the mother of success. We learn as we grow.

To Cheryl thank your for your help. It was helpful of you.

To Shawn I can't thank you enough for your help. You have been such a big help to me by giving me so much information about MUET. Because of you I have learned so much about MUET and was able to hinder from making a fool of myself. I am very happy and proud to have such a shepherd like you. So to show my gratitude, you are entitled to one piece of Secret Recipe's cake, your pick. See how nice of me. LOL

2 comments:

emointhecorner said...

ahahaha lol, i can't believe there's such agay exam for smt like tht, but i guess its understandable so tht ppl dun send idiots out overseas and embarrassing the entire country by saying something stupid on tv?

hahaha, something like tht ey!

Anonymous said...

Huh? I don get what are trying to say ler jade...explain pls.... =)